Biologists and related scientists jobs in Canada
71 730 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 41 560 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 46 610 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 60 380 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 72 810 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- A bachelor's degree in biology or in a related discipline is required for biologists.
- A master's or doctoral degree in biology or a related discipline is required for employment as a research scientist in biology.
- Post-doctoral research experience is usually required before employment in academic departments or research institutions.
Biologists and related scientists conduct basic and applied research to extend knowledge of living organisms, to manage natural resources, and to develop new practices and products related to medicine and agriculture. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, environmental consulting companies, resource and utilities companies, chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies and health and educational institutions.
- Plan and conduct studies of the environment, and of the population, distribution, structure and functional characteristics and behaviour of plants and animals
- Conduct ecological and environmental impact studies and prepare reports
- Study, identify and classify plant and animal specimens
- Conduct experiments in plant or animal growth, heredity and breeding
- Prepare reports and plans for management of renewable resources
- May supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists.
- Conduct research into the structure, function, ecology, biotechnology and genetics of micro-organisms, including bacteria, fungi, protozoans, and algae
- Conduct research into the structure and functioning of human, animal and plant tissues and cells
- Conduct studies into the identification, effects and control of human, plant and animal pathogens and toxins
- Conduct clinical or laboratory studies to test, evaluate and screen drugs, pharmaceuticals and nanoparticles used in biomedical applications
- Conduct molecular or biochemical studies and experiments in genetic expression, gene manipulation and recombinant DNA technology to develop new or alternative methods of producing products
- Conduct research in biotechnology to discover, develop and refine, and evaluate new products
- May participate in the commercialization of new products
- May supervise biological technologists and technicians and other scientists
- May conduct biostatistical data analysis using computer modelling techniques.
- cell biologist
- marine biologist
- molecular biologist