Petroleum engineers jobs in Canada
176 600 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 105 930 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 107 340 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 165 920 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 180 340 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- A bachelor's degree in petroleum engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
- A master's degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
Petroleum engineers conduct studies for the exploration, development and extraction of oil and gas deposits; and plan, design, develop and supervise projects for the drilling, completion, testing and re-working of oil and gas wells. They are employed by petroleum producing companies, consulting companies, well logging or testing companies, government, and research and educational institutions.
- Conduct feasibility assessment studies for developing new oil and gas fields
- Direct and monitor oil and gas drilling operations
- Develop drilling programs, select sites and specify drilling fluids, bit selection, drill stem testing procedures and equipment
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing and well surveys
- Design and select artificial lift machinery, and well and surface production equipment and systems, and specify programs for corrosion control and oil or gas treatment
- Develop specifications for and monitor and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery
- Analyze reservoir rock and fluid data to design optimum recovery methods and to predict reservoir performance and reserves
- Monitor and forecast oil and gas reservoir performance and recommend oil recovery techniques which extend the economic life of wells
- Design, develop and co-ordinate the installation, maintenance and operation of subsea well-head and production equipment.
- drilling engineer, oil and gas
- petroleum engineer
- petroleum engineer, completion
- production engineer, oil and gas
- reservoir engineer, petroleum
- subsea engineer