Biological technologists and technicians jobs in Canada
52 210 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 49 920 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 41 970 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 49 530 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 56 210 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of a two- to three-year college program in a field related to agriculture, biology, microbiology, wildlife or resource management is usually required for employment as a biological technologist.
- Completion of a one- to two-year college program in a related field is required for employment as a biological technician.
- Certification with provincial associations is available, but voluntary.
Biological technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals working in fields such as agriculture, resource management, environmental protection, plant and animal biology, microbiology, cell and molecular biology and health sciences, or may work independently in these fields. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, manufacturers of food products, chemicals and pharmaceuticals, biotechnology companies, health, research and educational institutions, environmental consulting companies, and resource and utilities companies.
- Set up and conduct biological, microbiological and biochemical tests and laboratory analyses in support of research and quality control in food production, sanitation, pharmaceutical production, biotechnology and other fields
- Apply methods and techniques such as microscopy, histochemistry, chromatography, electrophoresis and spectroscopy
- Perform experimental procedures in agriculture, plant breeding, animal husbandry, biology and biomedical research
- Conduct field research and surveys to collect data and samples of water, soil, and plant and animal populations
- Conduct environmental monitoring and compliance activities for the protection of fisheries stock, wildlife and other natural resources
- Analyze data and prepare reports
- Conduct or supervise operational programs such as fish hatchery, greenhouse and livestock production programs.
- Assist in conducting biological, microbiological and biochemical tests and laboratory analyses
- Perform limited range of technical functions in support of agriculture, plant breeding, animal husbandry, biology, biomedical research and environmental protection
- Assist in conducting field research and surveys to collect data and samples of water, soil, and plant and animal populations
- Assist in analysis of data and preparation of reports.
- agricultural technician
- agricultural technologist
- agrology technician
- aquaculture technician
- bacteriological technician
- biological laboratory technologist
- botanical technician
- fish hatchery technician
- fisheries technician
- food bacteriological technician
- microbiology quality control technologist
- microbiology technologist (except medical)
- plant breeding technician
- seed technologist
- wildlife biology technician