Civil engineering technologists and technicians jobs in Canada
66 140 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 54 670 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 58 460 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 66 610 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 69 960 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of a two- or three-year college program in civil engineering technology or a closely related discipline is usually required for civil engineering technologists.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college program in civil engineering technology is usually required for civil engineering technicians.
- Certification in civil engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title "Professional Technologist."
Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection. They are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries.
- Develop engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts and sketches
- Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials
- May supervise, monitor and inspect construction projects.
- Assist in developing engineering specifications and drawings
- Participate in field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Perform other technical functions in support of civil engineering activities.
- bridge design technician
- building materials technician
- civil engineering technician
- civil engineering technologist
- construction technologist
- foundation technologist
- highway technician
- municipal engineering assistant
- soil technologist - civil engineering
- specifications writer, construction
- structural design technologist
- structural investigator