Deck officers, water transport jobs in Canada
81 020 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 58 780 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 65 380 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 85 930 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 85 970 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of deck officer cadet program from an approved nautical institute or One to three years of experience as a member of a deck crew is required.
- A deck officer certificate of competency, issued by Transport Canada, is required.
- For ship pilots, a ship pilot licence and a master certificate of competency are required.
Deck officers, water transport, operate and command ships or self-propelled vessels to transport passengers and cargo on oceans and coastal and inland waters, and supervise and co-ordinate the activities of deck crews. This unit group also includes Canadian Coast Guard deck officers. They are employed by marine transportation companies and federal government departments.
- Command and operate ships or other self-propelled vessels, such as barges or oil rigs, to transport passengers and cargo
- Command and operate coast guard vessels to provide ice-breaking and search and rescue services, and to maintain control over ships operating in Canadian waters
- Board vessels at berth or from pilot boats to advise ships' captains on the course to steer for safe passage into and out of ports, seaways or other waterways under pilotage authority
- Plan and execute safe navigational passage using navigational aids
- Determine geographical position using navigational instruments, maps and charts
- Guide vessels in rivers, canals, and other confined or hazardous waters and waterways
- Maintain vessels' navigational instruments and equipment
- Direct and oversee the loading and unloading of cargo
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of deck crews
- Record vessel progress, crew activities, weather and sea conditions in the ship's log.
- deck officer - water transport
- ferryboat master
- first mate, ship
- master mariner
- navigation officer, Coast Guard vessel
- second mate, ship
- ship pilot
- ship's captain
- ship's mate
- third mate, ship
- tugboat captain
- watchkeeping officer, Coast Guard vessel