Engineer officers, water transport jobs in Canada
78 170 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 57 230 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 51 220 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 80 660 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 83 340 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a three-year cadet program in marine engineering from an approved marine training institute or Approximately three years of experience as an engine room crew member and six months of formal training at an approved marine training institute or Approximately three years of experience as an engine mechanic and six months of experience as an engine room crew member are required for certification as a fourth class marine engineer.
- A marine engineer officer certificate of competency, issued by Transport Canada, is required.
Engineer officers, water transport, operate and maintain main engines, machinery and auxiliary equipment aboard ships and other self-propelled vessels, and supervise and co-ordinate the activities of engine room crews. They are employed by marine transportation companies and federal government departments.
- Operate main engines, machinery and all auxiliary equipment aboard ships, such as boilers, steering and deck machinery, motors, pumps, generators and condensers
- Stand engine room watch, monitoring and noting performance of engines, machinery and all auxiliary equipment
- Inspect and conduct maintenance and emergency repairs to engines, machinery and all auxiliary equipment
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of the engine room crew
- Maintain records and prepare reports on engine performance and failures.
- chief engineer - water transport
- engineer officer - water transport
- fourth engineer - water transport
- marine engineer officer
- second engineer
- third engineer - water transport
- tugboat engineer