Computer network technicians jobs in Canada
61 630 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 49 600 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 57 440 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 60 250 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 67 700 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of a college or other program in computer science, network administration, Web technology or a related field is usually required.
- Certification or training provided by software vendors may be required by some employers.
Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and co-ordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. They set up and maintain Internet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Supervisors of computer network technicians are included in this unit group.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks, computer workstations, connections to the Internet and peripheral equipment
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software, operating system software and software applications
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot and upgrade Web-server hardware and software
- Implement network traffic and security monitoring software, and optimize server performance
- Perform routine network start up and close down and maintain control records
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations
- Conduct tests and perform security and quality controls
- Control and monitor e-mail use, Web navigation, and installed software
- Perform shell scripting or other basic scripting tasks
- May supervise other workers in this group.
- computer network technician
- data centre operator
- Internet Web site technician
- LAN (local area network) administrator
- LAN (local area network) technician
- network administrator
- network support technician
- supervisor, computer network technicians
- system administrator
- Web technician