Veterinarians jobs in Canada
90 640 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
High school diploma or equivalent : 32 120 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 58 280 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 91 190 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Two years of pre-veterinary university studies or completion of a college program in health science and A four to five year university degree in veterinary medicine and Completion of national certification examinations are required.
- A provincial licence to practice is required.
- Entry into research positions may require post-graduate study.
Veterinarians prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and disorders in animals and advise clients on the feeding, hygiene, housing and general care of animals. Veterinarians work in private practice or may be employed by animal clinics, farms, laboratories, government or industry.
- Diagnose diseases or abnormal conditions in individual animals, herds and flocks through physical examinations or laboratory tests
- Treat sick or injured animals by prescribing medication, setting bones, dressing wounds or performing surgery
- Vaccinate animals to prevent and treat diseases
- Perform routine, emergency and post-mortem examinations
- Advise clients on feeding, housing, behaviour, breeding, hygiene and general care of animals
- Provide a range of veterinary services including obstetrics, dentistry and euthanasia
- May supervise animal health technologists and animal care workers
- May be responsible for overall operation of animal hospital, clinic or mobile service to farms
- May conduct veterinary research related to areas such as animal nutrition, health care products development and disease prevention and control
- May enforce government regulations in disease control and food production including animal or animal-based food inspection.
- farm veterinarian
- small animal veterinary specialist
- veterinary inspector
- veterinary pathologist
- veterinary physiologist
- veterinary surgeon
- zoo veterinarian