Optometrists jobs in Canada
112 160 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 112 590 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Three years of university undergraduate studies in mathematics and sciences and A four-year university program in optometry are required.
- Licensing by the provincial or territorial regulatory governing body is required.
Optometrists examine eyes and diagnose ocular diseases and disorders. They prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses and recommend treatments such as exercises to correct vision problems or ocular disorders. They work in private practice, clinics and community health centres.
- Examine patients' eyes, conduct tests and use ophthalmoscopes, biomicroscopes and other specialized instruments to determine ocular health and visual efficiency
- Prescribe treatment (excluding surgery) to maintain, improve and correct vision and manage other ocular disorders
- Prescribe and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Educate and advise patients on contact lens use and care, ocular hygiene, preventive care and maintenance, lighting arrangements, working distances and other safety factors
- Refer patients to ophthalmologists or other physicians and surgeons for treatment of ocular or other diseases or conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- doctor of optometry (OD)