Firefighters jobs in Canada
84 230 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 79 550 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 87 530 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 83 200 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 85 550 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a college program in fire protection technology, fire science or a related field may be required.
- Firefighting and emergency medical care training courses are provided and vary in length depending on the requirements of different fire departments or services.
- An apprenticeship training program for firefighters and voluntary trade certification is available in New Brunswick.
- Experience as a volunteer firefighter may be an advantage.
- Physical agility, strength, fitness and vision requirements must be met.
- Several years of experience are required for senior firefighters, such as lieutenants and captains.
Firefighters carry out firefighting and fire prevention activities, and assist in other emergencies. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal governments and by large industrial establishments that have internal firefighting services.
- Respond to fire alarms and other calls for assistance, such as automobile and industrial accidents, bomb threats and other emergencies
- Rescue victims from burning buildings and accident sites
- Control and extinguish fires using manual and power equipment, such as axes, water hoses, aerial ladders and hydraulic equipment and various firefighting chemicals
- Administer first aid and other assistance
- Ensure proper operation and maintenance of firefighting equipment
- Prepare written reports on fire incidents
- Inform and educate the public on fire prevention
- Train to maintain high level of physical fitness
- Assist the public, the police and emergency organizations during times of major disasters
- May participate as members of a trauma or emergency response team and provide paramedical aid to accident victims or ill persons
- May supervise and co-ordinate the work of other firefighters
- May conduct building inspections to ensure compliance with fire code.
- airport firefighter
- fire captain
- firefighter, shipboard
- industrial firefighter
- lieutenant, firefighters