Conservators and curators jobs in Canada
55 190 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 43 550 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 40 320 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 50 120 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 57 400 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Conservators require a master's degree in art conservation or Completion of a three-year college program in conservation technology and several years of experience in conservation work.
- Curators require a master's or bachelor's degree in museology, art history or a field related to their specific area of work.
Conservators restore and conserve artifacts belonging to museums, galleries and owners of cultural property. Curators recommend the acquisition of museum artifacts and gallery works of art and research their artistic history. Conservators and curators are employed in museums, art galleries and universities. Conservators may be self-employed.
- Examine artifacts, determine their condition, suggest methods for treating them and recommend preventive conservation techniques to their owners
- Restore and conserve paintings, photographs, sculptures, furniture, pottery and other museum and art gallery artifacts
- Provide advice on display and storage of museum and gallery artifacts to ensure proper maintenance and preservation
- Research new conservation and restoration techniques
- Provide consultation to museums, art galleries or private individuals
- Supervise conservation technicians and other museum technicians.
- Recommend the acquisition of paintings, photographs, sculptures, documents and other museum and art gallery artifacts
- Research origins and artistic history of artifacts
- Develop storylines and themes and organize displays and exhibitions
- Co-ordinate the storage of collections and the setting up of displays and exhibitions
- Oversee the conservation, display and circulation of collections
- Supervise curatorial assistants and other museum technicians.
- art gallery conservator
- assistant curator
- conservator - art objects
- conservator - museum
- historical artifact conservator
- natural history museum curator