Artisans and craftspersons jobs in Canada
24 700 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 24 600 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 26 540 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 24 730 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 21 260 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Skills are often learned through apprenticeship with a master craftsperson.
- Training programs are offered by artisan guilds, colleges and private studios.
- Creative ability and talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, and knowledge of safe handling of material, tools and equipment are required.
- A college diploma in fine craft techniques may be required.
This unit group includes those who use manual and artistic skills to design and make ornamental objects, pottery, stained glass, jewellery, rugs, blankets, other handicrafts and artistic floral arrangements. Makers of musical instruments are also included in this unit group. Most craftspersons are self-employed. Artistic floral arrangers are usually employed in florist shops and floral departments of retail establishments, or may be self-employed. Craft instructors are also included in this unit group and are employed by artisan guilds, colleges, private studios and recreational organizations.
- Carvers use hand tools and woodworking machines to produce carvings from wood, stone and other materials and to carve ornamental designs into wooden furniture and other objects.
- Glass blowers design and create glass objects using blowpipes and artisan's hand tools and equipment.
- Metal arts workers design metal jewellery, utensils, implements, wall hangings and other objects and create them from gold, silver, copper, pewter and other metals.
- Potters design ornamental and ceramic functional earthenware pieces and create them using clay, moulds, potter's wheels and other equipment, glazing materials and kilns.
- Stained glass artists design stained glass windows, lampshades and other objects and cut, paint, fire and assemble pieces of stained glass to create such products.
- Instrument makers construct instruments applying their knowledge of wood, ebonite, metal properties and other materials and instrument design using hand and power tools.
- Weavers use hands or loom to interlace strips of flexible material such as wool, cotton, silk, grasses, bark and rawhide to make baskets, wreaths, wall hangings, clothing, rugs, blankets and other objects.
- Craft instructors prepare craftmaking lessons, gather the required working materials and demonstrate and teach craftmaking techniques.
- Artistic floral arrangers design bouquets, corsages, sprays, wreaths and other floral arrangements and select natural and artificial flowers, foliage and decorative accessories to create arrangements or other floral items to suit customers' requirements.
- artistic floral arranger
- craft instructor (except education)
- glass blower
- lace weaver - arts and crafts
- leather worker
- metal arts worker
- screen printing artisan
- stained glass artist
- stringed instrument maker
- totem pole carver
- weaver - arts and crafts