Railway and yard locomotive engineers jobs in Canada
92 310 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 87 230 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 93 500 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 95 260 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 75 990 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience as a conductor is required for railway locomotive engineers and may be required for yard locomotive engineers.
- Experience as a railway yard worker may be required for yard locomotive engineers.
- Railway locomotive engineers require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
Railway locomotive engineers operate railway locomotives to transport passengers and freight. They are employed by railway transport companies. Yard locomotive engineers operate locomotives within yards of railway, industrial or other establishments. They are employed by railway transport companies and industrial or commercial users of rail transport.
- Operate locomotives to transport passengers and freight on railways
- Operate communication systems to communicate with train crews and traffic controllers to ensure safe operation and scheduling of trains
- Inspect assigned locomotives and test operating controls and equipment.
- Operate locomotives to switch, couple and uncouple cars for loading and unloading
- Perform switching operations according to written switching orders or dispatched instructions
- Inspect locomotives, replenish fuel or perform routine maintenance on locomotives.
- locomotive engineer - railway
- railway engineer
- switch engineer - railway
- transfer hostler - railway
- yard engineer - railway