Underground production and development miners jobs in Canada
81 340 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 80 930 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 80 380 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 82 290 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 81 250 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Formal training of up to six weeks followed by extended periods of specialized training as a helper or in support occupations is usually provided.
- Previous experience as a mine labourer or in other mine occupations is usually required.
- Provincial blasting licence may be required.
- May be certified in the basic common core program or as an underground hard rock miner in Ontario.
- Trade certification for miners is available, but voluntary, in Quebec and Manitoba.
- Company licensing or certification is often required for occupations in this unit group.
- Certificate in first aid may be required.
Underground production and development miners drill, blast, operate mining machinery, and perform related duties to extract coal and ore in underground mines and to construct tunnels, passageways and shafts to facilitate mining operations. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral underground mines and by specialized contractors in mine construction, shaft sinking and tunnelling.
- Set up and operate drills and drilling machines to produce a designated pattern of blasting holes
- Operate diamond drills or other specialized drills such as raise boring machinery to test geological formations or to produce underground passageways
- Set up and operate mining machinery to shear coal, rock or ore from the working face
- Load explosives, set fuses, and detonate explosives to produce desired blasting patterns and rock fragmentation in underground mines
- Operate scooptram, load-haul-dump (LHD) machine or mucking machine to load and haul ore from stopes, drifts and drawpoints to ore passes
- Perform duties required to ensure safety and to support the mining advance, such as scaling loose rock from walls and roof, drilling and installing rock bolts, extending and installing air and water pipes, operating ore loading machinery, inspecting mine shafts, operating hoists that transport people, equipment and materials through mine shafts, and constructing timber supports and cribbing if required
- Perform routine maintenance of mining machinery.
- blaster - underground mining
- chute blaster - underground mining
- diamond driller - underground mining
- drift miner
- driller - underground mining
- hardrock miner apprentice
- hoist operator - underground mining
- mining machine operator
- powderman/woman - underground mining
- raise miner
- roadheader operator
- scooptram operator
- shaft inspector