Senior government managers and officials jobs in Canada
106 580 $
This salary is an average estimate between all available diplomas degrees related to this career. Click here to get an overview of salary depending of diploma.
No certificate, diploma or degree : 60 530 $
High school diploma or equivalent : 77 310 $
Postsecondary certificate or diploma below bachelor level : 79 370 $
University certificate, diploma or degree at bachelor level or above : 124 970 $
The career's stability is based on the employment projection for that working area for the year 2022.
- A university degree or college diploma is usually required.
- A graduate degree in a related field may be required.
- Several years of managerial experience in the public or private sector are required.
Senior government managers and officials plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through middle managers, the major activities of municipal or regional governments or of provincial, territorial or federal departments, boards, agencies or commissions. They establish the direction to be taken by these organizations in accordance with legislation and policies made by elected representatives or legislative bodies.
- Establish objectives for the organization in accordance with government legislation and policy, formulate or approve and evaluate programs and procedures alone or in conjunction with senior government committees
- Advise elected representatives on policy questions and refer major policy matters to these representatives for final decision
- Recommend, review, evaluate and approve documents, briefs and reports submitted by middle managers and senior staff members
- Ensure appropriate systems and procedures are developed and implemented to provide budgetary control
- Co-ordinate department activities with other senior government managers and officials
- Make presentations to legislative and other government committees regarding policies, programs or budgets.
- assistant deputy minister
- chairperson, Human Rights Commission
- chief administrative officer - regional municipality
- chief statistician - government services
- city administrator
- deputy minister
- director general - government services
- executive director - government services
- high commissioner